The Admissibility of "Consciousness of Guilt"

The general rule on the admissibility of evidence regarding how a defendant acts after an alleged crime was committed is usually that the prosecutor can introduce testimony that tends to show that the defendants actions prove he knew he was guilty (at least of something). This is labeled, at least by prosecutors, as “consciousness of guilt”.

The theory is that since in most criminal trials the prosecutor has the burden of proving the “mens rea” or intent of the defendant, actions he took to “cover up” his alleged crime are relevant. (I say “most trials”, because the state is not required to prove intent in strict liability offenses.)

The New York Times has an article today about legal arguments in former New Jersey Nets star Jayson Williams retrial on reckless manslaughter in the accidental shooting that happened at his house. He was convicted on four charges relating to tampering with the evidence after the shooting in the first trial and acquitted of aggravated manslaughter, but a mistrial was declared on the reckless manslaughter charge he once again faces.

His lawyers argued that evidence of his actions after the shooting should no longer be presented to the jury in his second trial, because it will be more prejudicial than probative. My prediction is that the evidence will be allowed. From the article:

Justice Barry T. Albin questioned how the actions of Mr. Williams, 38, differed from those of someone accused of manslaughter in the case of a hit-and-run accident or any case in which someone flees. “The prosecution always says he fled because he was guilty,” Justice Albin said. “The defense says he was scared. Why shouldn’t that evidence go to the jury?”

This probably would have been a more difficult legal question for the appeals court, if Williams had been acquitted of these charges in the first trial.

(Hat Tip: How Appealing)

Comments (22) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
noah - September 18, 2007 11:51 PM

now, if I was pulled over for doing 70 in a 65 on the highway, then pulled out of the car for no reason and interrogated, then my car was torn apart -- searched without a warrant... even though I may have consented due to the K 9 in the police vehicle- would i be guilty of any marijuana found in the vehicle? would the evidence hold up in court? I waived the option for a lawyer and I got deferred adjudification. I am on probation for 2 years and this all happened less than a month ago. Should I get a lawyer and try to overturn my plead?

Donna - January 16, 2008 10:02 PM

This is being used against my son, where the 'initial,' police report (turned over to the defense) contains web monitoring information even after the indictment, showing that my son went onto an online forum and posted his concerns about the case - no admitting guilt or being stupid, just his concerns. And, of course, the actual forensics report - because there WAS NO forensics report, 8 months later has just now been completed and turned in by the police.

mydirtyhobby - May 7, 2011 11:22 PM

I am not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I was looking for this info for my mission.

west elm coupon - May 30, 2011 1:24 PM

I have been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yoursIt’s pretty worth enough for mePersonally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will be much more useful than ever before.

iMac - June 2, 2011 3:46 PM

I love that website layout . How was it made. Its very nice.

0 Credit Cards - June 9, 2011 1:57 AM

I just could not depart your site before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard info a person provide for your visitors? Is going to be back frequently in order to check up on new posts

Edie Hovenga - June 17, 2011 7:11 PM

You actually make it seem so easy together with your presentation but I obtain this matter to be really something that I think I would never comprehend. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

how to learn guitar - June 20, 2011 8:48 AM

Hey – good weblog, simply wanting round some blogs, seems a reasonably good platform You Are using. I’m at the moment utilizing Drupal for a few of my sites however looking to change considered one of them over to a platform very a lot the same to yours as a trial run. Anything particularly you'd advocate about it?

how to learn guitar - June 20, 2011 7:38 PM

Congratulations on possessing certainly one in every of one of the most sophisticated blogs Ive arrive throughout in a while! Its simply wonderful how a lot you’ll be capable of consider away from a thing principally merely because of how visually gorgeous it is. Youve place collectively a terrific blog site space –great graphics, movies, layout. That is certainly a should-see web site!

bank karta kredytowa - October 6, 2011 2:07 PM

My fiance and I own our own business together which we actually opened up before we were even engaged! When we started out on the craziness of opening the business I knew he was the man I was going to be with for the rest of my life. So, making the decision to completely jump off the path I was headed down (I had just finished grad school with a degree in neuroscience) and open up a sandwich shop (yes, a sandwich shop!) with him was the only choice for me. As we began the insane project of a complete renovation and re-make of our shop, I knew that this shop was exactly what I was meant to do in my life. We opened our doors this past June, followed quickly by a proposal in August! As we began planning our wedding the theme pretty much jumped out right at us without even trying..... sandwiches! We're now trying to pull all the details together, but the plan is to have a "picnic lunch" theme....but without the picnic setting! We are having a church ceremony with a semi-formal reception in late August of next year, with a seated dinner in the evening inside of a vineyard (actually an old airplane hangar that has been converted into a vineyard!). But even so, we want to have all the details revolve around something that is just so *us*..... lunch! Even though it sounds crazy to most everyone else, for us it is exactly perfect and couldn't make any more sense

Dental Practice Management - October 15, 2011 6:55 PM

Thank you for the really helpful article on dental practice management. One other problem is that dental health issues are generally attributable topoor preventative care. It really is commonly viewed among laborers in the lower and middle classes. It can be caused by genes plays an important role, and some consumers are more vulnerable for the risk of as compared with others dentists in the field of cosmetic dentistry.

Adaline Mckewen - October 21, 2011 5:43 PM

Thanks for your post. I also feel that laptop computers have gotten more and more popular nowadays, and now are often the only form of computer used in a household. The reason is that at the same time potentially they are becoming more and more very affordable, their processing power is growing to the point where they are as robust as pc's coming from just a few years ago.

hack facebook password - November 14, 2011 12:00 AM

I won't be able to thank you enough for the content on your website. I know you set a lot of time and effort into these and truly hope you know how much I enjoy it. I hope I'll do the identical thing for another man or woman sooner or later.

forex review - December 3, 2011 10:40 PM

I just want to tell you that I am just all new to blogging and site-building and truly savored you're web page. Likely I’m want to bookmark your blog . You certainly have superb writings. Thank you for revealing your website page.

oranges - January 3, 2012 4:15 PM

wonderful issues altogether, you just won a logo new reader. What may you suggest in regards to your put up that you made some days in the past? Any positive?

Charlie - January 20, 2012 5:57 PM

Sharing some thing is superior than keeping up-to our self, thus the YouTube video that is posted at this place I am going to share with my relatives and colleagues.

Earle Thoeny - February 20, 2012 8:12 AM

Thanks for your recommendations on this blog. 1 thing I wish to say is the fact purchasing electronic products items over the Internet is not new. The truth is, in the past 10 years alone, the marketplace for online gadgets has grown significantly. Today, you'll find practically any kind of electronic system and devices on the Internet, from cameras in addition to camcorders to computer spare parts and game playing consoles.

Alberto - April 7, 2012 7:24 AM

Get your cigarettes for lower cost. As long as you do smoke cigarettes plus you do not love having to pay substantial prices, it's possible to buy from abroad and in addition pay out no duty. It truly is a mutually beneficial instance. Just travel to the cheap cigarette store and then you'll be honored with the most impressive values globally.

Argentine - June 30, 2012 8:17 PM

le boin coin is the perfect site.

polo ralph lauren outlet - May 21, 2013 11:05 PM

This design is incredible! You obviously know how to keep
a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Great job.
I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than
that, how you presented it. Too cool!

Juan carlos Molina Cano - May 7, 2014 1:46 AM

With this issue, it’s important to have someone like you with something to say that really matters.

http://www.freeadvertisinggenie.net/ - May 31, 2014 4:45 AM

I've learn several good stuff here. Certainly
value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you set
to create this type of excellent informative website.