State Jail Felony Range of Punishment - Texas Penal Code

§ 12.35. STATE JAIL FELONY PUNISHMENT.

(a) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an individual adjudged guilty of a state jail felony shall be punished by confinement in a state jail for any term of not more than two years or less than 180 days.

(b) In addition to confinement, an individual adjudged guilty of a state jail felony may be punished by a fine not to exceed $10,000.

(c) An individual adjudged guilty of a state jail felony shall be punished for a third degree felony if it is shown on the trial of the offense that:

(1) a deadly weapon as defined by Section 1.07 was used or exhibited during the commission of the offense or during immediate flight following the commission of the offense, and that the individual used or exhibited the deadly weapon or was a party to the offense and knew that a deadly weapon would be used or exhibited; or

(2) the individual has previously been finally convicted of any felony:

(A) listed in Section 3g(a)(1), Article 42.12, Code of Criminal Procedure; or

(B) for which the judgment contains an affirmative finding under Section 3g(a)(2), Article 42.12, Code of Criminal Procedure.
Comments (79) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Thomas Carroll - September 20, 2007 5:28 PM

Is this law still the same I have been hearing that it has changed to 5 years.

brandon - November 22, 2007 7:54 PM

if someone is charged with burguraly of a building, which is state jail felony. is there a way of not getting jail time?

Jesse Lee Hutto - November 26, 2007 3:51 PM

I, have been indited of a theft of property $1,500.00 --$20,000.00 on a State Jail Felony.But not convicted yet?I don't have any other felony charges,or convictions.And only a couple of misdemeanor charges. Approx. 10 years ago. That's all that's on my record. The State don't have any proof that I stole anything.Or can they place me on any crime scene.The only thing they can proof is I took some stolen property to a pawn shop.But I have a witness that will get on the stand and say, they gave the property to me.To take to the pawn shop, because they didn't have a drivers license. And at the time they told me, and assured me it was not stolen property.The bottom line is, or my question is, is it possible to get the State Jail Felony reduced to a misdemeanor, with a small amount of possiblely probation?Maybe approx. 18 months, with a possible fine of approx. of $500.00.With that being the only evidence that the State has.

Jack - December 12, 2007 7:27 PM

My friend was recently arrested for possession of 1 lb. of marijuana. Several more lbs. were turned over before the arrest. My friend was charged with felony possession. This is his first offense; what should he expect?

Tracy - December 16, 2007 9:21 PM

Recently my children were in the car with an adult that was pulled over and charged with a DWI. I want to be rest assured that this person will have to do jail time instead of just given probation. Will she be required to do some jail time?

lISA - January 8, 2008 4:58 PM

lISA - January 8, 2008 4:59 PM

MY home was burglarized this summer. The total theft was over $5000 and 4 firearms were also stolen. It is my understanding that this falls under the state jail felony for both (the $ amount and the firearms). If this is true, and the 3 individuals involved have no previous record, are they going to get off? There was also over $7,000 of damages done to my home - the went in through the attic and busted throu my ceiling in certain rooms to avoid the security system.

john - March 13, 2008 4:20 PM

I have three prior misd. offenses for family violence...all from 2001. I recently received another misd. charge that is now listed as a SJF is there any hope that I will not have to serve jail time. My wife is cooperative and it was mutual combat, even my in-laws are supportive. I have also been diagnosed since with bipolar disorder. Given these facts do you think I will serve jail time?

Jon - March 22, 2008 11:29 PM

i received an original charge of felony theft for stealing a laptop from my school while still attending. the charge was dropped to a class a misdimeanor and two years probation. while on probation i failed two ua's over a years time. they filed a motion to revoke my probation. what are the chances that i can work a deal with zero jail time?

pete - March 22, 2008 11:31 PM

jon s. - March 22, 2008 11:31 PM

dawn barger - March 25, 2008 10:07 PM

if I have a felony what type of credits can I get from college and what kind of career can i hope for?

TRC - April 19, 2008 1:50 PM

I was charged with a DWI with a child under age 15. Can this offense be lessened? Will I have to serve time in State Jail?

ingrid - May 31, 2008 3:57 PM

my boyfriend is being charged of that state jail felony n he has been arrested before, is there any way that he dnt goes to jail? should i get a lawyer?
it was him n his friend but his friend run away, n just was helping him out,
then when he found out the stuff he helped him to bring it was stolen my bf called the cops so they went to get the stuff at my house n 2 days later they went to get him because he was there n helped his friend

natasha - July 3, 2008 10:27 PM

THE FATHER OF MY CHILD VIOLATED HIS PROBATION BY HAVING A GUN UNDER THE SEAT OF HIS GIRLFRIENDS CAR. HE DID NOT KNOW THAT HIS FRIEND HE WAS WITH PUT IT UNDER THE SEAT.BUT HE TOOK THE CLIP FROM HIM AND THATS IT.HIS FRIEND SIGNED AN AFFIDAVIT STATING MY BABYS FATHER DID NOT KNOW HE PUT IT THERE.HE IS ON DEFFERED ADJUDICATED WHAT COULD THEY DO TO HIM.THE D.A. IS OFFERING 2-10 ALREADY

james - July 19, 2008 7:49 PM

i am facing charges on a state jail felony for theft of around 8,000 dollars but have not been convicted yet. as far as i know all the evedence they have is a written confession in which i was pressured into writing. i have a clean criminal history this is the first thing in my life i have gotten into trouble with. do you think i will get to stay out of jail and just get probation?

mreddy - September 3, 2008 2:30 PM

hi
My friend met an accident in TX.
He was DUI Intoxication assault. 3 rd degree felony.
He has no communication from the court since he was hospitalised 3 months serious injuries.

He went back to India for rehabilitation on H1B VISA.

While he was reutn to US after 3 months he was arrensted at DTW Detroit Aiport for not attending the court.

When can we bail him , what charges he face , do he needs to spend in jail .....?? hoe much time.

We already Deposited $ 10,000 bond to TX court . with our Attorney.

Pls advise

john - October 15, 2008 12:06 AM

I am being charged with a theif felony charge i just took a poly and failed but i really didnt do it. never been in trouble just needing some one to help !!!!!

nole - October 26, 2008 7:48 PM

i was arrested for securing a document by deception 8 mths ago leaerned last week they indicted me state jail felony no priors except one minor thing 16 yrs ago--- if conv what prob is the outcome state jail or prob thanks

kastro - November 27, 2008 10:46 AM

i im facing charges of credit/debit abuse which was about in 2004 this is my first offense i never got to use it or tryed to use the card,cause i just walk out of the store and left it behind. I was wondering if i can get probation instead of prison time is that possible. And why haven't i received any letter or warrant about this the way i found out is that my sister works at the county jail.Also my bond is to high for this offence can you give me some advice or help me so that i can hire you to represent me so that i can take care of this matter and move on with my life.

John Cowan - December 31, 2008 4:03 PM

I just was charged with DWI and evading arrest what are my chances of getting probation i am going to school and i need advise thanks

J.R. STORSETH - January 16, 2009 12:05 PM

My son, age 29, was arrested for DUI in Austin, Texas. Of course, they towed his car. They confiscated his driver's license and it was a nightmare getting the car (which I own) since the owner had to proved ownership. I had to travel from Houston, Texas to Austin to get the car out of storage and pay towing and storage fee.

Since then we hired an attorney at $2,500 to handle the case. We also had to get a tmporary license so my son could travel to work. This suspension was for 40 days. Now the attorney says he should get SR22 insurance and advised against an ALR (?) hearing.

Due to local gossip, my son did not agree to a breathalizer test and spent nearly 40 hours in jail. Since then, it has been found that the Austin police cannot produce any visual evidence (video) of the field test (they did not produce to our attorney) and there is no other evidence of intoxication except the police officer's suspicion.

The case has been set for trial in February. The 40 day suspension of diver's licence is ending before trial. My son did get a license but the suspension is ending soon, before trial.

QUESTION: The insurance agent says that he doesn't need an SR22 until he has been convicted IS THAT TRUE? Is the attorney giving correct advice regarding the hearing? When does my son need an SR 22. WITHOUT ANY EVIDENCE EXCEPT THE OFFICER'S SUSPICION, WHAT ARE ODDS OF THE CASE BING THROWN OUT?? My son had had a partial glass of wine and two beers over a six hour period. He is 5'11" and weighs about 185 lbs. The police officer did have a partner who stayed in police car during field test and was not mentioned otherwise but is assumed to be able to be used as a witness for the police officer.

1. MY SONE NEED AN SR22 BEFORE TRIAL?

2. IS YOUR OPINION OF THE ODDS OF HAVING CASE THROWN OUT DUE TO LACK OF EVIDENCE TO PROVE HE IS NOT GUILTY??

J.R. STORSETH - January 16, 2009 12:06 PM

1. MY SONE NEED AN SR22 BEFORE TRIAL?

e - February 20, 2009 6:30 AM

i have a question i went through 2 year probation and did some programs. Now that im done the probation people say my record is dirty no matter what and it can never be expunged is that true? IT was a credit card abuse case State jail Felony. Please email me back i need to know to see if i can fight them

e - February 20, 2009 6:31 AM

timothy g admire - February 26, 2009 4:49 PM

i was convicted of a state jail felony in 2000 . 2 years suspended to 5 years probation no deferred ajudifacation is it possible to get any of my rights back

Cathy - March 20, 2009 6:33 PM

My 21 year old son is serving time on his third state felony. He also has two misdemeanors. If he gets another felony what will happen to him?

And, I thought Texas had the three strikes law. Does that mean only serious felonies count for that to be enforced on a person?

How do I find out current information on the 3 strikes law in other states?

Thanks,
Cathy

Steve Thomas - March 30, 2009 4:27 PM

My son was arrested November 13, 2008 for 2 counts of simple burgurary. After his arrest, he was taken to City Court and plead quilty to violating his probation and they placed a detainer on him and said he will have to serve 80 days in city jail when he gets out of county jail. He has been in county 6 months and has been to court once and plead not guilty and now is coming back and his attorney is working a plea bargain with the agreement he enters an in-patient rehabilation program for 1 year. Question, in Louisiana, does the time he was sentenced in county jail, 80 days, run consecutive with the 6 months he has already been in county jail. I have been told by his attorney that it does but I am not sure.

Sharon - April 3, 2009 10:36 AM

Is take prohibit items in a correctional facility a state jail felony offence?

Sharon - April 3, 2009 10:37 AM

Is take prohibit items in a correctional facility a state jail felony offence?

Jamie - April 3, 2009 10:41 AM

Sharon:

I suppose it depends on what's being taken in...

Wil - April 12, 2009 2:45 PM

My name is Wil and i was convicted of felony theft about 3 years ago. I was oringally put on probation but I didnt finish i had to serve county jail time. I havent been in any trouble since other than traffic ticket..I was wondering is there any way that I can seal this off my record to where an employer couldnt view..

Chris - April 30, 2009 12:37 PM

Yes I was convicted of Employee Theft which is a State Jail Felony and I was wondering if there was any way not to get jail time I could do as much probation as possible but no jail time. I need to not go to jail because its only me and my wife, PLease if someone could help me.

patricia - May 9, 2009 7:51 AM

if someone has had a possible detainer put on them and it was placed on him on 1-28-09 how long can they wait before charging him for the dwi..

bren - May 29, 2009 8:52 AM

my daughter took some mony from work she was worried about it and turned herself in, she has always been a good person in the community w/ no history. the amont of money was enough for a state jail felony. with no past history what is she looking at

b'smom - June 21, 2009 11:18 AM

My son is in a Texas State Jail for 18 months because be plead guilty to having less than a gram of meth. It is his first time. He is finding people in jail with him who are there for only 6 months and are back for their 7th or 8th time. There are also people there who commited crimes with weapons and received a lessor sentence. Is there anything we could do to have his time reduced? Also, he has heard that starting in September, State Jail time will be counted as 2 days for every day served instead of day for day with no time off for good behavior. Is this true and would it apply to him since he is already there?

Christina - June 24, 2009 12:35 PM

i am facing charges on a state jail felony for theft of around 5,000 dollars but have not been convicted yet. as far as i know all the evidence they have is a written confession in which i was stated that I only took $900.00 and the rest was lost. It was a deposit that I was suppose to take to the bank for work. i have a clean criminal history this is the first thing in my life i have gotten into trouble for. do you think i will get to stay out of jail and just get probation?

heidi ramirez - August 9, 2009 2:03 PM

I have not been in trouble in 13 years. ihave astate jail felony now. they are usen it against me .Does any one think thats right

Consuela Jackson - August 29, 2009 6:59 PM

My boy friend is currently in jail on unlawfal possesion of a firearm by felon in TX. The situation was he was moving from my house to his sister house and using our car. his brother aked if he could leave his things at my home a few months back. I allowed in his things was a gun. when my boyfriend went to remove his brothers things as well the gun was in there. he was pulled over in route to the sisters house and the gun was there. what exception of the rule is there at this time?

Chris - October 8, 2009 8:58 AM

I had recieved a State Jail felony for Employee Theft of 10k and I got 0 Jail Time 1.5 Probation, and I have to pay back the money. Just so everyone knows.

scott - November 11, 2009 7:15 PM

i was given deferred adjudication for 10 yrs first offense for aggravated robbery and I have completed 4 years can you tell me if i'm eligible to get it expunged or off early? I have been doing everything that the judge required I received my medical degree? please let me know?

jon - January 13, 2010 1:53 PM

if someone is charged with arson, which is state jail felony. is there a way of not getting jail time?

Leon - February 25, 2010 9:54 PM

My mom recently got convicted of a State Jail Felony for theft of $1500 but less than $20000. This was due to food stamp benefits.It was because I was working and my mother did not report it right away at the time.But the Capias she received has the date of the offense as 04/30/2008.But she just received it today. She has no criminal record of any sort. Is she facing any jail time? They never gave her a chance to even appeal or fight this.

Irvin - March 22, 2010 12:37 PM

I have a state jail felony charge and i still havent gone to the court. Is there any posible way that they can drop the case down to any kind of misdeminor and instead of doing jail time just get any type of probation?

Freida - April 5, 2010 10:45 PM

Im am currently on probation out of Archer county for a forgery charge from 2003. It will be up June 4 2010. While I was locked up I got reinstated but I didnt committ any other felony offense. My probation was revoked for non payment as it will be on June 4,2010. and I was wondering if me being bipolar and having major depression and anxiety would help me or harm me when I go infront of a judge? Will I have to serve jail time or can they write it off?

oscar flores - April 13, 2010 1:57 PM

i been charge for theft state jail felony have found a credit card n use it but didnt spend more then $2000 i would like to knw if im able to get on probation i been convict before for a agg robbery n did 3years or i have to do sum time

Govtstudent - April 14, 2010 11:01 PM

To the idiot Oscar Flores, who was convicted or an Aggravated Robbery and did three years in jail, you really think after "finding" a credit card and spending less than $2000.00 that they are not going to make you do some time? Are you kidding me? How old are you? Didn't you learn your lesson the first time? Its people like you who make it hard for others who work hard trying to make a living. I say they throw the book at you. You broke the law before, and shouldn't be put back on the streets...

Amanda - May 5, 2010 10:15 AM

My husband is in state jail now and is doing 10 months for violation of probation and while on probation picked up a theft case with all that said is there any motions that he can file to help him get out a little earlier. I heard something like credit for steet time.. Please Help...Thank you

jared adams - June 7, 2010 1:18 PM

I have a state jail felony and i am curious as to whether or not i can ever own a weapon again. i like to hunt and i have done my time how long until i get the right s i lost back?

Kait - June 8, 2010 7:39 PM

My husband is in jail for evading arrest detention w/veh and he is a prior felon. I was wondering what could be his jail time or could he even go on probation?

April Armstrong - June 15, 2010 11:46 AM

i was charged with a state jail felony for theft....i just recently got out of jail by bonding out. spent 22 days in another state before i got extradited. i have never been charged or had a felony before. is there any way that i can get probation and pay restitution and avoid jail time. also should i get an attorney to fight it for me to avoid jail time. i havent went to court, much less have a court date yet.

david - July 24, 2010 11:16 AM

stepson in jail for less than a gram. state felonie less than a gram does this go off your recoerd after seven years or is there a time limit or does it stay on your record always

Karon - December 21, 2010 6:19 PM

My son broke nto my mother in laws house stole a gun and went and pawned it for 200.00. he has never beenin trouble before and has a good job. what is he looking at? the sheriffe just found the gun and has it but how long will it take for them to charge him?

Brett hooks - January 31, 2011 4:10 PM

My brother facing state jail felony for poss controlled substance over 4g with failure to appear no lawyer yet . Should he use state appointed. First offense but I'm worried he will receive several years Collin county need advice date set for feb 10 please help tks.

mike - March 11, 2011 9:24 AM

i was arrested for possession of a controled subtance which is a state jail felony,i took 5 yrs probation and got a dirty u.a and was given another 5 yrs probation which is now 10 yrs on a 2 yr sentance,is this legal

Justin - May 15, 2011 3:49 PM

My wife was probation for a control substance xtc and just got caught with 18 xtc pill how much time is she looking at

heather - November 1, 2011 6:28 PM

My husband was given 4 yr probationfor a state jail felony of check forgery. he did good for awhile but then lost his jo and couldnt pay so he stopped reporting( which he wishes he had now ) hes been in the county jail for 2 months on a MTR warrnt. He has multiple violation, non-payment, not reporting, not going to drug classes and 2 dirty ua's. whats the worst that coul happen? what are the chances of getting it reinstated? This is his first felony and has been on and successfully finished probation in the past

jamillah walker - November 15, 2011 1:51 PM

what is the new law about doing 25% of jail time in texas?

clair - December 30, 2011 1:01 AM

I was arrested for possession under a gram and have been told that because of my past criminal record they want me to do 15 months state jail. its been 11 years since ive been in any trouble I was on parole for 11 months back in 2001 for texas and was on probation in arkansas at the same time and completed both with no problems and have been a productive citizen ever since. Is there anything i can me or my lawyer can do through the legal system to maybe get my sentenced reduced Im not denying my guilt and i have cooporated fully with the arresting officer and the prosecution and will be more than cooperative still

jen - May 2, 2012 12:22 PM

I have been charged with an employee theft of 3500 dollars I admit i did it and i am wondering if i will get jail time or could i get probation? I have never been arrested before and never even had a speeding ticket.

jen - May 2, 2012 12:23 PM

deb - June 27, 2012 3:40 PM

i am facing theft of less than 2500.00 from my employer by paying for an insurance policy with company funds. i have had 1 other felony for securing a document by deception or something like that. i received 5 years ajudification for that offense which was being on welfare and not reporting i got a job. i completed my probation with no problems. do you think i will get jail time for this offense?

Pat - October 12, 2012 8:55 AM

My son is 25, In January this year, he cashed a check for $600 at Wal-Mart(that was made out to him and not his)
Yesterday he was arrested and charged with with being involved in organized crime. A class 3 felony. Is there any hope for him?

Connie S - November 8, 2012 10:39 AM

I dnt think its right dat dey bring ur past up poeple do change

ConnieS - November 8, 2012 10:46 AM

I have two prior statejail felonies an i juss got indited for another one i served time for the other two an i have changed my life around the only evedince they have is a video wer i grabbed a lighter worth a 1.00$ i thought she charged me for it but i guess she didnt an dey used my two pettie thefts to inhance it to a felony

Vincep - November 25, 2012 1:04 AM

State jail reduckion time cut . Can you help me its something like that . Can you give me the currect name for that.

cindy - November 27, 2012 3:27 PM

my husband is facing a state jail felony with prior felonys, is it possible to get 8 yrs state jail

Alexis - December 10, 2012 10:17 AM

Lots of ?'s on here and no answers so I hope that what I tell you all will help with majority of the ?'s asked... In 2008 I sold 3.6 ounces of weed to an undercover cop. I was arrested about a week after that and after seeing a magistrate I was post for bond and bonded out. About a month after that came the court date...I DO suggest that if you don't have an attorney at that court date no worry's you will get an extension on the court date to get one or if you qualify for a court appointed go for it don't do this on your own. I don't recommend a court appointed ever for the worst maybe at your doorstep. I got a court appointed attorney and got 4 years probation with the option to get off of probation in 2 if all goes good. In that case you would have to have all fines paid in full, no dirty UA's or drug testing's of any sort and any other requirements they may through at you at the court hearing. Yes I got a State Jail Felony with 4 years probation and at first 180 hours of community service...now I got 80 hours of community service cut down too and the way to do that is if you have a full time job or even more than one job u don't have time for all the hours and your job/s and if you have more than one child or single parent of one or more the time to have that many hours of community service can and most likely be cut down to almost nothing. I also had fines over the given amount and mine was $3000 crime stoppers fees, court costs and lab work for the proof of the weed being the real thing coming to a grand total of around $16,000 dollars all together. Take in mind this is the only Felony I have and clean record otherwise. U will also have fees to pay for every time you go and see your probation officer. I did not make the 2 year point and so I will be off sometime in Oct. of 2013. I however have missed a whole month and for that I am now running for a few weeks and an MTR has been placed on my head. Now cant be to sure what the punishment is for that but I hear that it is the original punishment of 180 days in jail up to 4 years in state Jail. To get out of that one is to get your ass as quickly in a rehab center anywhere ASAP and judgment might be a bit easier on you. Any other ? I might get I will try my hardest to give you the right answer or close too. Good Luck everyone and remember to just breath. U wont go to jail for a first offence but it wont be a walk in the park nether. E-mail is coolcat_78006@yahoo.com

Alexis - December 10, 2012 10:23 AM

Cindy this is for you.... If the State Jail felony is the same felony as the ones prior to it then yes more than likely he can get up to 8 years. but then again its all classified into felony drug charge, Felony theft, Felony assault so on and so forth. But say he has one drug already along with an assault and now he is facing a theft then yes the chances are there still but more than likely he will have a longer period of probation. I am sorry cant be more help to you. Good Luck to you and your other half.

michael - May 21, 2013 9:39 PM

my wife is fixing to go to court soon on a state jail felony charge for the first time. this is her first felony charge ever. she has served deferred adjudicaton for a misdemeanor in the past but that is all. we cannot afford the cost of a lawyer, so what can we expect when she appears in court.

john - August 29, 2013 6:16 PM

My son is 17 and on juvenile probation and has committed a felony burglary of a bldg and is being charged as adult will he go to prison

john - August 29, 2013 6:17 PM

john - August 29, 2013 6:17 PM

Lloyd - February 17, 2014 10:05 AM

A relative is charged with debit or credit card abuse as State Jail Felony. Is there a possibility of probation or is it an automatic jail sentence?

Lloyd - February 17, 2014 10:05 AM

GT - June 14, 2014 6:21 PM

My daughter was on probation and got a felony. charge, then her probation revoked and is waiting on another felony charge to hit. Had already got out on a csrp bond for her dwi and doesn't qualify for a pr bond. She is still in jail and goes to court on the 20th for one of the felonies. What exactly is she lookin at when she goes to court?

Daniel - September 20, 2014 1:47 PM

I have a felony theft charge from 2001 in Louisiana and just recently got another felony theft charge in Texas. What could be the possible outcome? Had a public pretender the first time but have a paid lawyer for this one!!

Joyce Paul - September 25, 2014 9:16 PM

My God Son has a State Jail Felony in Waco TX. IIs probation possible? He has only been in jail for traffic tickets. He is 25 and has a good job.

Iris diaz - September 26, 2014 9:44 PM

I just got my son a private criminal lawyer,he's been in county for 4 months now, will his case start all over, or does new lawyer takes on where public defendant left off