- The US incarcerates the largest number of people in the world.
- The incarceration rate in the US is four times the world average.
- Some individual US states imprison up to six times as many people as do nations of comparable population.
- The US imprisons the most women in the world.
- Crime rates do not account for incarceration rates.
- The US has less than 5% of the world’s population but over 23% of the world's incarcerated people.
Read the whole paper. It's truly frightening. Either folks in the U.S. are just more deserving of prison, or…I don’t know, are there any other possibilities?
(Hat Tip: Doug Berman)