Dismissed Criminal Case Still On My Record

Someone called and asked me this today: Why did my deferred prosecution show up on a criminal background check?

They had successfully completed a Travis County Deferred Prosecution agreement for a shoplifting (theft) charge. The terms of the agreement were:

• Complete 50 hours of community service
  • Attend a Theft/Shoplifting Class
  • Stay out of trouble for 1 year

Like all Austin Deferred Prosecution agreements, the case had been dismissed “up front”; meaning that the State dismissed the Theft charge when the agreement was signed, and came back and checked after a year to see whether the defendant had lived up to their end of the bargain.

The defendant had already turned in proof of the community service, and the certificate for completing the class, and had not gotten into any trouble.

Unfortunately for them, during a routine criminal background check by their employer, the arrest “showed up”. Why?

Because they had not gone back after the year was up and expunged the arrest.

Here’s the deal. Let’s say you were arrested in Austin and charged with [DWI, or Assault Family Violence, or Theft, etc.]

An officer with the Austin Police Department arrested you. You were booked into the Travis County Jail and turned over to the custody of the Travis County Sheriff’s Office (the folks in the brown uniforms). You were interviewed by Pre-Trial Services for a Personal Bond. You were magistrated by an Austin Municipal Court Judge.

(This next part of my hypothetical never happens, but I’m using it to prove a point…) As you are walking out the door of the jail, the prosecutor meets you at the door with a dismissal, and admits that a mistake was made: you should never have been arrested. You are free to go. You are no longer on bond. You don’t have ot go to court (or hire a lawyer).

Well…is that the end of the story? No!

All those agencies I mentioned will have a record that you were arrested in Austin, Texas on [a certain date] and charged with [whatever criminal offense]. Several more agencies, such as D.P.S., the County and/or District Attorney’s Offices, TCIC, NCIC (Texas & National Crime Information Centers) will have a that same record of your arrest in a matter of days or weeks.

Same thing when you hire a lawyer and get your case dismissed. There is still a record of your arrest. And that’s what expungement is for.

An Expunction is simply a civil lawsuit against all the government agencies that have a record of your dismissed or acquitted case, demanding that they destroy the records of the arrest.

Why is that necessary? Because, unfortunately, folks think that where there’s smoke, there’s fire. If they see that you were arrested, they very well may assume that you were guilty, even if you weren’t convicted.

Bottom Line? Getting a dismissal is not the same as “getting the arrest off your record.”

Comments (16) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Mark Bennett - June 15, 2007 12:10 AM

Worse still, even in your hypothetical (where the prosecutor dismisses your case as you walk out the door of the jail) you will have to wait two years to expunge the records of your arrest.

That's fair, no?

Robert - January 24, 2008 10:14 AM

In order for you to request that your cases be expunged, you must wait 2 years from the final judgement date of a misdemeanor and 5 years from the final judgement date of a felony. Is this correct?

Additionally, how likely is it that the request for an expunction will be honored?

Katharina Wilson - April 21, 2008 12:07 PM

Hi I was arrested when I was 17 years old. My mom told the police that I hurt her which I did not do. But the police charged me as an adult and took me to jail. My mom cam to her senses the next day which there was alcohol involved, but my mom dropped all the charges and my lawer said the case was dismissed. I checked my record online and it said that nothing was on my record. Right now I am going to college I want to be a teacher. Do I have anything to worry about?

Melanie - October 25, 2008 11:50 PM

My question are I've plead guilty theft case- dismiss but I'm not sure if I've been charged. I don't know if still on my name. I'm applying to get an apartment and there asking been charged I don't if I had to say yes or no. Pls let me know what should I do

Kelly Lirttle - June 2, 2009 11:29 AM

I was told that my case could be postured? What is that? Is it the same as dismissal? I was charged with a 21nd degree felony

DEMETRIA WRIGHT - August 9, 2009 6:59 PM

WHY IF I COMPLETED ALL PROBATION WHY DO I HAVE AN RECORED CAN I HAVE IT SEALED BECAUSE ITS BEEN 13 YEARS

Nikki - October 25, 2009 6:38 PM

I have a charge of theft on me and my court date is Dec.9th. I have never been in trouble before and it is a class A misd. One attorney said i could possible get defered probation if i plea guilty is this so, will that be on my record or not?

online stock trading advice - January 10, 2010 7:42 PM

Hey, great blog...but I don’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me, please :)

I'm Out! :)

Enu - October 2, 2012 10:47 PM

Make clinics, intrhnseips, and externships mandatory, and/or make a J.D. a two-year degree. I think at least two years is necessary, even though I am a supporter of law school being three years. One year does not provide enough time for a law student to learn enough of the basic substantive law. For example, without a second year, I would not have taken constitutional law or evidence. Any attempts to squeeze more into the first year would result in classes where the content is too watered down.Also, if law school were changed to two years or less, it would seem silly (more than it already is) to continue to call a law degree a Juris Doctor degree. If it ever happens, I hope law schools call the degree a master's degree.

indiana workers - March 14, 2013 5:36 PM

Admiring the persistence you put into your site and detailed information
you present. It's good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed material.
Excellent read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

fashion lady - April 22, 2013 2:56 AM

The striking difference in these online ladies fashion dress shops is you will be flooded with all the related details of each and every item of the exhibited ladies
clothing online. You know,Christmas Day is around the corner and
have you prepared any Christmas Gifts for your family
members,especially for your dear mother. The Carrera Chronograph is outstanding in design, feature and beauty.

Earl - May 2, 2013 10:11 PM

Very interesting information!Perfect just what I was searching for! "He who spares the wicked injures the good." by Seneca.

Popcorn factory coupon - May 6, 2013 6:39 PM

I have learn a few good stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you put to create such a wonderful informative web site.

allstate agent jackson ms - May 27, 2013 2:03 PM

I was suggested this web site through my cousin.
I'm not positive whether or not this put up is written by means of him as nobody else recognize such exact about my problem. You are wonderful! Thank you!

car maintenance - June 21, 2013 6:40 PM

If you are going to change them yourself, again you will want to bring to the store your vehicle's make and model so that you purchase the correct model of wipers. Finally, while this may not seem like regular maintenance, it is an important part of keeping your car, and yourself, safe. Step 4: Wait a few minutes for the dirty oil to drain out.

marketing seo - May 1, 2014 3:10 PM

Before you can become an expert in your chosen niche, you must devote a
great deal of time and energy. I obtain traffic by social marketing optimization and social networking.
Visit to get more tips about how you can go about starting an online business today with almost
zero startup cost.