Improvisational Blogging: The Austin Edition

So, I read Houston defense lawyer Mark Bennett’s post “Lanyard Nation” and I thought to myself, “Wow! That’s quite the post. I wonder why he got so worked up about various issues.”

Then I remembered his “Improvisational Blogging” post – he had thrown out a few saved titles of unwritten posts, and challenged his readers:

Here’s the deal: pick a title and suggest three or four words or phrases (PG or G rated, please) for me to use in the post. Write a comment. I’ll write the post, incorporating the words or phrases, and you’ll grade me.

So “Lanyard Nation” was actually inspired by Mark Draughn, the best Chicago blogger out there. And the best New York defense lawyer’s challenge was answered in “The Commerce Clause”. Well done.

I’m not going to be able to beat Bennett at his own game – but I do have this in common with him: I have a ton of half written but fully titled posts saved in my “Blog Post Ideas” folder. So I’ll give it a shot. Here are the titles of the future posts, same rules as Bennett’s. Three or four words or phrases suggested from you, and I’ll do my best to publish the post soon with your suggestions incorporated.

1. Snitching: The Bible Version
  2. 20 Years for Crack Pipe Residue
  3. When I Paint Horse Thieves
  4. Why You Should Let the Police Search Your Car

OK. That’s enough for now. I’ll admit to tossing out the ones that potentially give me the most leeway – but these were all criminal defense related (in my mind anyway) when I started.

I’ve got 6 or 7 times more unfinished posts, but for example “Value Ladder for Theft” is just too pedestrian for me to reasonably stick random words in, and “Losing an Uncontested Competency Hearing” is a true story that needs no embellishment – even if it does have a surprise ending. Another one, “No One is Heir to the Living,” was a favorite phrase of my second year Wills & Estates professor, but unfortunately all I’ve got is the title saved and no memory of what in the heck I was going to say about it.

Or maybe I’m just chicken. At any rate, let’s see how these first four turn out.

Fire away.

Tags:
Trackbacks (1) Links to blogs that reference this article Trackback URL
Austin Criminal Defense Lawyer - May 14, 2008 10:41 PM
I now have almost 50 half written posts in my folder on my C Drive labeled “Partial Blog Posts”. This time I’m going through each one, and either finishing and publishing it, or deleting it.[Yes, I’ve made this threat in...
Comments (7) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Jamie - April 15, 2008 11:04 PM

Not sure anyone will pick it, but I think "Snitch: The Bible Version" was a hastily conceived title.

I'm a big believer in writing the title first - for some reason it helps me, and I think it's just a good practice. Yes, I suppose it's also a way to postpone the actual writing.

My concept for the post is more along the lines of...

"How Snitches (Mis)Use the Bible"

So, I don't want to republish the post, but let's riff on that one instead, shall we?

Windypundit - April 16, 2008 12:42 AM

I save the titles for last, and sometime forget them entirely or publish with a working title. Then I spot my mistake and quickly change it to a pun or something snarky or slightly misleading. (That hurts my search engine stats, but I can't resist.)

Anyway, the title "Why You Should Let the Police Search Your Car" doesn't sound like something a criminal defense attorney would ever say, so I'm very curious.

Please work in the words "curry" and "catalyst", the name of any planet orbiting the Sun (but not as the make or model of a car), and---just to spread the misery---the phrase "naked 13 year old girl".

(And I say to hell with the Pluto-haters at the International Astronomical Union. Use it if you want to.)

Finally, thanks for the cool shout-out.

Jamie - April 16, 2008 8:17 AM

Windy:

Difficult but doable, I think. I hope to have it up no later than tomorrow (no breath-holding required).

Mark Bennett - April 16, 2008 11:24 AM

If you consent to a search of your car, are you also consenting to a search of Uranus?

Windypundit - April 16, 2008 11:29 AM

Yeah, that's harder than what I picked for Bennett, and he rambles more than you, so he can work in the crazy stuff. On the other hand, the planet bit gives you multiple choices, and there's a bit of a trick. Tell you what: Make it "curry" or "catalyst".

Jamie - April 16, 2008 1:49 PM

Mark:

I would say "lol" but I don't want to publicly admit that we are both equally immature.

Windy:

Haven't even started, but I'm still going to try to work in "curry". And "Catalyst" shouldn't be a problem.

Randy England - April 16, 2008 3:54 PM

"Why You Should Let the Police Search Your Car:"

How about when they reciprocate and let you search their car? (Cop cars are full of cool stuff. My car's got zip)