Crimson Flames Tied Through My Ears

My rough transcription – but possibly accurate, I rewound several times - from Obama’s Tuesday night victory speech:

[McCain’s] plan to win in November appears to come from the very same playbook that his side has used time after time and election after election.

Yes, we know what’s coming. I’m not naive. We’ve already seen it.

The same names and labels they always pin on everyone who doesn’t agree with their ideas. The same efforts to distract us from the issues that effect our lives by pouncing on every gaffe and association and fake controversy in the hopes that the media will play along.

The attempts to play on our fears and exploit our differences, to turn us against each other for political gain, to slice and dice this country into red states and blue states, blue collar and white collar, white, black, brown, young, old, rich, poor…

This is the race we expect… The question then is not what kind of campaign they will run…

It’s what kind of campaign we will run.

I’ve been a politics watcher for a long time now, and frankly I’ve gotten more and more cynical with each passing election cycle. Without even realizing it, over time I came to believe that no one ever could change the tone in Washington – or would even try.

Ah, but I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now

Comments (8) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Michael - May 7, 2008 11:39 PM

Well, regardless of what Democrat is going to be running (though it appears to be Obama), the Democrat campaign will be easy: run against George W. Bush.

Jamie - May 8, 2008 6:56 PM

Michael:

Easy yes. Certain (as in certain victory) no.

I've played the "we have to win this time" gmae too often recently to believe anymore.

In fact, if I wanted to I bet I could come up with 3 bogus issues that would make it a 52/48 race at best for the Dems.

Just typing that puts fear into me.

Julia - May 17, 2008 5:15 AM

I just came across a list of Nazi leaders' quotes that I had saved to my hard drive back in 2003. Aside from Goering's famous one, "tell [the people] they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country," there was another one from Hitler that said, "Never leave people in peace, because [then] you are nobody...your very purpose is gone. They need you only when there is danger; so create danger. If there is not real danger, at least create the climate of a false danger." And then one from Dr. Mengele that makes me think about our country's outrage fatigue, "The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it."

jamesceagez - June 14, 2008 8:56 PM

Hey how it's going :)

bieraszdaionzie - July 5, 2008 2:42 PM

How its going?

davernginzks - July 29, 2008 2:28 AM

I've recently joined and wanted to introduce myself :)

cymbalta - October 14, 2008 12:33 AM