If You Too Have Driven A Car Into a Pool...

Fish. Barrel. Ka-Blam! (Really, it’s too easy.)

You don’t want to - or is that can’t be bothered to? - write your own blog, so you get someone to do it for you. After all, blogs are the “next big thing” in lawyer marketing. Pay someone a monthly fee, and they’ll… well, what will they do?

For a criminal defense blog they’ll take a story out of the newspaper about someone being arrested; then blurb it without attribution; and finish with a final paragraph that reads something like:

If you too have been [fill-in-the-blank] then call me me me at this number NOW!

Better watch out though. Someone else is “writing” this garbage and sticking your name on it. Here’s an example of some of that fine lawyer marketing.

First, a story in the paper appears about a Florida DUI arrest where the defendant drove her car into someone’s pool. Second, your marketing guy that writes your blog condenses this down to two paragraphs – without linking to the story itself.

But that’s not enough. Sure, that’s fascinating, relevant to your practice, and is going to make anyone and everyone charged with DUI in a 100 mile radius want to call you immediately. But you really need that call to action.

(As Dave Barry often writes, “I am not making this up.”) So you add the coup de grace to your blog entry:

If you too have driven a car into a pool and are in need of an experienced DWI lawyer, contact the [Geographical Location] DWI lawyers of the Law Office of [First Name Last Name] at 1-800-123-4567 to discuss your situation and to determine your legal options.

If you too have driven your car into a pool? Are you kidding me – who hasn’t?

Comments (10) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Colin O'Keefe - February 18, 2009 6:08 PM

This is the best post I've seen on a legal blog post in a long time and a topic I've wanted to write about on Real Lawyers Have Blogs. Excellent.

Colin O'Keefe - February 18, 2009 6:09 PM

Ashley - February 19, 2009 4:32 PM

This is a test comment, in order to confirm that all is well with your comment box.

Ashley - February 19, 2009 4:33 PM

--LexBlog

Jamie - February 23, 2009 3:09 PM

Thanks Colin. Thank you two times, in fact.

And Ashley - looks like things are working just fine. Twice for you too.

stevens - February 28, 2009 2:45 PM

Sounds like the lawyer's blog was slander to me. How did they know the guy who actually crashed the car was a DUI?

San Diego DUI Lawyer - March 5, 2010 5:57 PM

This is amazing. I saw a similar situation in my town, this behavior never seizes to amaze me. Truly incredible.

Jami Ferrell - Memphis personal injury lawyer - July 27, 2010 9:57 AM

Any of us who are lawyers and have a blog or website have all seen the posts that these "legal marketing" blog writing companies put out. Maybe they help a little with seo, but is it really worth it?

At one point I thought I needed some extra help with blogging and hired one of these "blogging experts" to help me. This experiment lasted about two weeks after I saw that they just couldn't post anything that was actually helpful and relevant to people who were hurt and searching for information on my Memphis personal injury site/blog.

So, for better or worse, I write all of my own posts. And I make sure that they always share something that an accident or car wreck victim would find useful. Or if not useful, hopefully they find it at least humorous. Which is exactly what this post is:)

David - September 27, 2010 2:02 PM

I write all my own blog posts too, yet in the interest of time it is fairly hard to write everything I'd like to write.

I agree though, if someone else is writing your blog posts your probably not getting what you should be getting.

At the very least approve what is being written by "you"...

San Diego Real Estate - March 5, 2011 10:59 PM

Ha ha ha ha!

Wonder if their insurance will cover that!