Section 106.06. Purchase of Alcohol for a Minor; Furnishing Alcohol to a Minor                      

(a) Except as provided in Subsection (b) of this section, a person commits an offense if he purchases an alcoholic beverage for or gives or with criminal negligence makes available an alcoholic beverage to a minor.

(b) A person may purchase an alcoholic beverage for or give an alcoholic beverage to a minor if he is the minor’s adult parent, guardian, or spouse, or an adult in whose custody the minor has been committed by a court, and he is visibly present when the minor possesses or consumes the alcoholic beverage.

(c) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

  • Gary Giordano

    My 22 year old daughter was given a citation for providing alchol to a minor, even though no alcohol was physically given to the minor. She had agreed to give a ride home to a fellow Texas A&M student that had been drinking to avoid having him drive while intoxicated. While on her trip with the intoxicated 19 year old in her car, she stoped to buy herself a bottle of alcohol. Another student in the car, who owed her $20 dollars for a previous loan had given her the $20 while in the car in front of the liquor store. She went into the liquor store, purchased the alcohol, then put the alcohol into her trunk, while two TABC agents were watching from an adjacent vehicle. The agents then followered my daughter to another location where she was dropping of the young men she had offered a ride to, when the agents appoached her and gave her the citation. The bottle of alcohol was still in the trunk and my daughter had made no attempt to remove it prior to the agents issuing her the citation for providing alcohol to a minor. They also forced her to open her trunk to confiscate the bottle of alcohol. I would appreciate someone telling me if these agents have a valid case against her, and should she retain an attorney to defend herself. She is a struggling student planning to graduate in education this coming May, and a charge against her would damage her future job prospects. Legal fees would also be a challenge for her to pay, given she is only working part time as a student. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.